If you're walking more than two miles each day, you'll need a good pair of walking shoes that are comfortable and fit well. Pop a waterproof in your bag or take an umbrella to cover you for those rainy days.
To keep yourself safe when you GoWalk, follow these simple guidelines and remember the Highway Code:
- Use pavements or paths where available.
- Where possible, cross the road in a well-lit area.
- If no pavements are available then walk on the right hand side of the road so you are visible to oncoming traffic.
- Be seen at night – wear light coloured clothing or carry a torch.
- Carry a mobile phone for emergencies and tell someone where you are going.
- Plan your route so you don't look lost and when walking at night choose busier routes.
- Be extra careful when using a mobile phone or listening to a MP3 player as you are less likely to hear oncoming vehicles.