The GoSmart Travel Advice Team successfully engaged with residents, schools and community groups of Dumfries to promote and encourage sustainable travel though Personalised Travel Planning and various local events and workshops. The project was also rolled out to Lockerbie from 2011 to encourage more people to travel sustainably. We are now expanding into Dalbeattie, as part of Healthy Dalbeattie and Kirkcudbright.
To get advice and resources on how to get more active and try out new ways of travelling sustainably, contact the GoSmart team by:
- calling us free on 0800 0234 586,
- emailing us at GoSmart@dumgal.gov.uk, or
- writing to us at GoSmart Advice Team, Militia House, English Street, Dumfries, DG1 2HR.
Future GoSmart events and activities will be posted on the What's Happening section.
What is it? Why get involved?
Specially trained GoSmart Advisors will be offering you the chance to participate in GoSmart Dumfries.
This is a free service tailored for your needs. Why not spare 10 minutes to chat about your current travel patterns and issues, to see if we can offer any ideas that can:
- Save you money
- Save you time
- Help you get or stay fit
- Help you find more enjoyable and less stressful ways of travelling
How can we help?
The Advisors have a range of information materials to provide you with all you need to try out sustainable ways of travelling, such as cycling route maps, bus times from your local stop or information on local walks. They can also find out about local walking and cycling groups to help you meet new people to travel actively with.
You will also have the opportunity to participate in a GoSmart challenge where you can encourage yourself and your family members to make a change in your travel modes.
Examples of challenges that residents of Georgetown, Dumfries, have taken up so far include:
- Janet will walk to the shops on a Saturday and leave her car at home.
- William will try eco-driving to see how much money he can save.
- Mandy will take the kids on a leisurely cycle ride next Sunday along the new Craig's Ridge Maidenbower Path.
- Mike will use the bus to get to work at the Crichton tomorrow.
Once you've spoken to one of the Travel Advisors, your personalised information pack will be delivered.
Want to get involved?
If you would like to register an interest for yourself, a community group, a business or a school to get involved with GoSmart, please get in touch with the GoSmart Advice Team by:
- Phoning us free on 0800 0234 586
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Write to use at GoSmart Advice Team, Militia House, English Street, Dumfries, DG1 2HR
We look forward to meeting you soon!